Saturday, July 01, 2006

Calvin and Hobbes meet the Fight Club

How I love Calvin and Hobbes.

Consider all the famous words of Calvin, “I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.” “Reality continues to ruin my life.” “Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words.” “A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.” “It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.” “I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!” “In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks.”

And, of course:

“You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.”

Now consider this sensational article on Metaphilm by Galvin P. Chow who hypothesized brilliantly on the Calvin and Hobbes / Fight Club connection:

“Filling in the time-gap between Calvin and Jack, we can imagine the story as something like this: Once Calvin reaches the hostile environment known as the seventh grade, the constant teasing from the other students and the frustrated concern of his parents finally becomes too much, and a reluctant, disillusioned Calvin is finally forced to grow up, or at least begin to. This decision is sealed by one of the hardest things young Calvin will ever have to do in his life: un-imagine Hobbes, an act which to Calvin is essentially no different from murder. After being Calvin’s best friend for over a decade, Hobbes is packed away in a box, or tossed carelessly into a garbage bag, perhaps even stuffed under the same bed that once contained so many monsters. This is all, of course, very painful for Calvin, so much so that he represses it all in shame. Little does Calvin suspect that while he is busy growing up, deciding what "dinette set defines him as a person," Hobbes is also maturing in the recesses of his mind, waiting to be unleashed at an appropriate time.”

Hehehe… I was rolling.

No comments: