Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Cliché of the Day (7/19/06)

I’m going to post these fairly regularly…

"Miss Blanche?" Character

Any character in a film who is a false hero and exists only to get killed for shock value -- usually seconds after theyve found out the villain. Examples: Detective Arbogast in "Psycho," the cop in "Misery," the brother in "The Stepfather," the football player in the remake of "The Blob," and, of course, the maid in "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" (The title comes from her last words.)

ROB MATSUSHITA, Madison, Wis.


Thanks to
Ebert’s Glossary.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephen King uses this technique A LOT. Now I have a cutesy name for it.

Rob said...

I'm so happy that I've been quoted, I can't even tell you.

Very groovy.

The other one I have in there, the "Alan Alda rule," just came in handy while I was watching M:I 3, as well.

Mystery Man said...

Hey Rob, you're very welcome!

I am familiar with the Alan Alda rule - "Any character in a murder mystery who is excessively helpful to the main character invariably turns out to be the killer." That's hilarious and DEAD ON accurate! Hehehe...

I've been thinking a lot about bringing back the cliche's, because I just love them and they're just so helpful.

-MM

Cagatay said...

Really nice and has a following narrative.. Thanks Divit | Havza Eymir | Jdm Turkiye

Cagatay said...

Really nice and has a following narrative.. Thanks Divit | Havza Eymir | Jdm Turkiye