Saturday, September 23, 2006

Celebrating Over 25 Posts on Subtext!


I feel the need to celebrate...

We now have over 25 great posts on subtext in dialogue. We decoded wordless subtext, one-word subtext, single and double entendres, lines that have two or even three layers of meaning, subtext in seduction, poetry, evasion, and appeasement, the subtext of not saying what would normally be said, I could go on and on…

Did you pick up on the subtext?

I want to officially and most sincerely thank from the bottom of my heart all of the contributors:

Billy Mernit, Unk, MaryAn Batchellor, Will Dixon, Matt Spira, Miriam Paschal, Ross Mahler, Mickey Lee, Nena Eskridge, GimmeABreak, Rose Gibbs, David Muhlfelder, Kevin Broom, and Bob Thielke.

We will not ever conclude our study on subtext. When inspiration hits us, when the subtle hidden meaning of a character’s words tickles our intellect, we will post new scenes to study & debate. (If you discover a great scene with subtext that you wish to add to our list, please feel free to email me.)

However, I’ll be starting a new study on CHARACTER DEPTH, which I’ll start blogging about in the next couple of days.

Also, we will be seeing more of Miriam’s very special Movie Breakdowns - Grease, The Skeleton Key, and Frailty. PLUS she will start giving us breakdowns of at least one movie from every great filmmaker – Hitchcock, Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola, Altman, De Palma, and more. I’m very excited about that.

I’m also going to start posting script reviews of (a couple) upcoming movies and famous unproduced scripts, which was the whole reason I started the blog.

Plenty of Format Articles to come as well.

Below are all of our Subtext Articles, which I hope you enjoy.

Thanks again,

-MM


MULTIPLE EXAMPLES:

Subtext with Billy Mernit

Subtext with Roger Ebert

An Explosion of Subtext

Casablanca, Apollo 13, and Raiders of the Lost Ark


OFF-TOPIC:

The Queen of Subtext in Comedy

Subtext & Natalie Wood

The Dying Words of King Lear


MOVIES:

Airplane!

Apocalypse Now Redux

As Good As It Gets

Back to the Future

Birth

Body Heat

Chinatown

Eyes Wide Shut

Finding Neverland

The Graduate

Groundhog Day

His Girl Friday

In Her Shoes

James Bond

Leaving Las Vegas

Ordinary People

Pride & Prejudice

Pulp Fiction

Shakespeare in Love

The Shawshank Redemption

Sideways

The Woodsman

3 comments:

wcdixon said...

Character depth...ulp...I'm already sweatin'.

Nice series...and I did catch 'Pride & Predjudice' with Ms. Knightley last night - it was good.

Mystery Man said...

Not to worry, Dix. It'll be a great study.

Isn't P&P great? I liked Lizzy, but my heart belonged to Jane.

-MM

mernitman said...

Thanks for this index (I needed that); I've done a shout-out to your series in my post on the late Sven Nykvist.